Thursday, October 13, 2011

Low Motivation Momma

In the early stages of being pregnant, I was easily distracted at work because I was excited and had a million questions that would pop up all day long. In a typical day, I spent as much time looking things up as I did working. During the second trimester, it got a little better and it was easier to focus on work and stay motivated. The last few weeks have reverted back to easy distraction and researching with an extra dose of low motivation. When I have enough work to keep me busy, I can manage to stay focused and get it done, but during lulls, there is no hope.

I am currently in such a lull, but most days have involved bouts of nothing to do then rushed, frantic work intermittently interrupting the nothing. I never enjoy being bored at work, but my hormones are making this extra challenging. The hormones aren't so bad during slow times (except when I think that it is a good idea to read stories online and end up crying), but when I am being thrown these crazy rushed, high stress and high pressure projects, I find myself more anxious than usual and have the added worry of breaking into tears. The other day, I was exchanging emails with my boss. Usually, I would just walk into his office to discuss it, but I was intentionally not doing so, as I would normally do, because I was sure I would start balling. I do not imagine that this would go over well.

During a typical day, I find myself daydreaming a lot  and going over baby check-lists in my head or looking up baby-related articles and random questions that come up as I'm day dreaming or making check-lists. I'd like to think this is just a little phase, but I'm guessing this will be how this final phase is going to go. Definitely won't be setting any records with my billable hours for the year. It's times like these that I am so thankful that my job is not dependant on those billables!

No comments:

Post a Comment