Friday, January 4, 2013

New Places, New Faces


I have discussed Loop's childcare on here before, but really only in how I chose his Montessori. Over the last six months, I was getting more and more frustrating with the facility, its management and some of the caregivers.

I am not a shy person. As soon as the problems started, I voiced my concerns. I had more than a few emails, phone calls and meetings about my concerns. Some of those concerns included trivial things like losing bottles (which does irritate me, as those things aren't free) and not leaving detailed notes about the day, to more serious concerns including caregiver lying to my on multiple occasions, the significant cost of care, and lack of confidence in the quality of care being provided for my child. Loop's room had two caregivers for up to 10 children (the state maximum and standard, but usually it was 6-8 kids). Since starting at this school in March, there has been one caregiver that has been constant with more than six different caregivers rotating through the room. Loop is pretty flexible and easy going, but that many people gets overwhelming. You finally get used to one person, then they are gone and there is a whole new person with a different personality and different methods to adjust to. I was getting fed up. The people I liked would leave, and the ones I didn't would stay around and just return every time a good one left. I was at my wits' end.

In June, I began casually looking at other options, including a daycare that my co-worker's kids attended, but that only provided care to one year olds and older. I got on the waiting list. I also started investigated nanny shares, in home care, and other options. For us, I really like the oversight and socialization in a daycare environment. I get nervous about a nanny not actually doing what they are supposed to when there is no one else there to look over their shoulder. I like that daycares are regulated and inspected by the state and have certain requirements that must be met at all times for care. Few home caregivers are licensed (I understand that the process is a pain, expensive, and really time consuming), which makes me nervous.

I had some good weeks that made me think twice about the stress of a move, but after several bad weeks, I resolved to move Loop as soon as we could. On November 30, we got a spot in the new daycare. Now that a spot was available, I had real reservations about moving Loop. What if he doesn't adjust well? What if we don't like the new place? What if I don't get along with the parents as well as at the current place? What if...? Ultimately, I realized that we had to try. I was getting the point of crying weekly over my frustrations and wasn't feeling good about the care Loop was getting. It is not easy leaving your child at daycare, but it's sooooo much harder if you have any bad feelings. I cried saying goodbye to the caregivers that truly love Loop. I cried telling them we were leaving. Now that the decision has been made, however, I am so glad that the "what ifs" didn't hold me back. If it doesn't work, we will re-evaluate but we needed to make a change.

Loop started there beginning in the new year and so far so good! We really appreciate the cost savings, as the tuition is $300 less per month, they provide all meals (we had to pack ALL food at Loop's old place) and they even provide wipes and launder the sheets. We just have to bring diapers. Though food and wipes aren't going to bankrupt us, it is one less thing to buy and have to pack each day. So far I have really appreciated the responsiveness of the staff at Loop's new daycare and I think this will be good.

Moral of the story: change is hard, but can be great. You just need to be willing to take the leap. Almost nothing is permanent. If we aren't happy, we will try again, but we'll never know if we don't give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment