Friday, June 3, 2011

Breaking the News

Since the day I found out I was pregnant, a weight sitting steadily upon my shoulders has been the reality that, at some point, I would have to tell my boss. Now, I don't want to imply that my boss wouldn't be happy for me, or would be angry, but the reality is, I work in an office in which all of the attorneys with children are male, and the last (and only) woman in the office to take maternity leave was pregnant approximately twelve years ago. Needless to say, I have been extremely nervous and concerned about what kind of reaction I would receive. Following our 12 week appointment, I decided that I needed to tell my boss this week, before I start showing and the women in the office figure it out, and before we go to Ireland, because I didn't want to seem deceptive.

Yesterday, I couldn't take it anymore. I decided "today's the day" and spent the day waiting for the perfect opportunity to break the news (as if there could be a perfect opportunity). I went in to my boss's office to help him with something else, and thought, "Okay, now! Do it!," but he was grumpy and rather short so I chickened out. A few hours later, I finally sucked it up, and went to talk to him. I closed his door as I told him I wanted to talk to him about something and he said, "Well, that sure is a big smile on your face!" That made it easier to tell him and I was pleasantly shocked by his reaction. He was absolutely thrilled and happy with the news-I'm not sure I've ever seen him smile that big! It was such a HUGE relief to have told him, especially given that he is so happy for us, and supportive.

Now, I have also told most of the other people in my office and everyone is so excited and thoughtful. One of the partners just took me out to lunch to celebrate and I have been getting lots of advice already from the many moms here. Our child will have many aunts from my office. I even already have offers to babysit. I hope those offers are still good in a year!

Whew! I get more and more excited the more people I tell. It's fun to have other people joining in the joy that Jay and I have been experiencing for the last two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment