Tuesday, September 27, 2011

After Our Childbirth Class...

I have WAY more questions than I did going into it. It is good, because it made us realize what we don't know and the things that we need to think about, but my brain is jam-packed with as many new questions as there is new knowledge! I am so glad that we took the class. There are also infant safety, infant care, and breastfeeding classes that I think we will take too, especially after this class.

My big question for the audience: did you get an epidural? If so, did it negatively impact breastfeeding and your child's ability to latch? Also, did you notice any other adverse effects on your baby? My doctor says that nothing actually gets to the baby, but the class talked about the fact that babies are often "sluggish" after birth when mom had an epidural, and have a harder time latching and there can be breastfeeding challenges. I'm also afraid of other long term effects on the baby that maybe haven't been studied. I have NO desire to prove anything to anyone by having un-medicated labor, but now I'm freaked out about the risks. My doctor said that the advantage to epidurals is that it can help speed up delivery because anxiety and fear can slwo delivery when the mom is in so much pain, and that it makes it a more pleasant experience because mom is present and aware, but not in as much pain. I definitely don't want the intravenous narcotics, as I don't like the idea of the drugs going directly to the baby, the risks of respiratory depression, and the fact that they give the baby a drug to counter-act the narcotics immediately after birth. Just seems like too many drugs going to my baby very early in his little life.

Also, did anyone use a doula? I have emailed one and am considering meeting with her, but I don't know anyone that has used them. The doula websites all tout these great statistical advantages to using a doula, but these are listed on pro-doula websites, so I don't trust the accuracy or objectivity of the statistics and information.

We also got to do a tour of the labor and delivery rooms, mom and baby rooms, and saw the nursery. I am so glad that we are going to be at such a great hospital. The staff seems great, everything really appears to have been designed well and with the families' best interests in mind, and I like that it is pretty new and really clean. It was helpful to learn what to do when I go into labor, such as what hours the main entrance is open, when we'll need to go to emergency, and what to do if no one is at the registration desk. These are all good things to know, and better to know in advance when we aren't panicking.

Watching the videos in class of moms giving birth wasn't as horrifying as I was preparing myself for, and it was so amazing to see them all meeting their new babies. It made me so excited to meet our little guy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I got an epidural. Four of them, actually. They were all very different experiences, but I have not yet experienced any breastfeeding problems as a result.

    Also, never had a doula, but always had my mom, who I think is about the same. I would think a doula is more necessary/helpful if you're planning on forgoing the epidural.

    Let me know if you want more info.

    ReplyDelete